All students at OVS are coached by Ofelia Guizzon who has a Bachelor of Music Majoring in Contemporary/Jazz Voice (Queensland Conservatorium). Ofelia is an experienced and active vocal coach (teaching since 2001), multi-award winning performer (Variety’s Australian Senior Entertainer of the Millennium), songwriter (New York International Music Festival Award Winner 2003) and composer/sound designer. Ofelia teaches exclusively from OVS and conducts all lessons and studio sessions.
Ofelia works as a Contemporary Vocal Coach and Performer. Ofelia received her formal qualifications at the Queensland Conservatorium where she attained a Bachelor of Music Majoring in Jazz/Contemporary Voice in 2001. Studying Vocal Pedagogy in her fourth year gave Ofelia a solid foundation to further develop her skills as a Vocal Instructor.
Ofelia trained under the following vocal instructors:
– Tim Smith (2016)
– Jason Barry-Smith (2005)
– Soprano Adele Nisbet (2002 – 2003)
– Jazz/contemporary singer Irene Bartlett (1998 to 2001)
– Tenor Greg Enriquez, associate of Seth Riggs (2000)
– Jazz vocalist Jan Morgan (1998)
– Jazz vocalist Heather Keanes (1997)
– Opera singer Phyllis-Forster McPherson (1996)
To further her knowledge of the human voice, Ofelia attended several vocal workshops and master classes and continues to seek guidance from various Speech Pathologists and health professionals.
Ofelia taught for several schools throughout Brisbane, including:
– Forte School of Music, Springwood (2006-2008)
– The Music Spot, Browns Plains (2005-2008)
– Brightstars Junior Talent Agency “Access All Areas” 8-week Workshops (Fortitude Valley and Thornlands) (2007)
– Karen Knowles Singing School, Brisbane (2006-2007)
– Northside Music School, Strathpine (2002 – 2006)
– Conductor of BDW Chorale: Blake Dawson Waldron Lawyers, Brisbane (2004)
– Southern Cross Catholic College, Scarborough (2002 – 2003)
– Karen Jacobi Dance & Performing Arts Academy, Brendale (2001 – 2002)
– Samuel Village Voice Studio, Camp Hill (2002)
– Dancentrix Academy, The Grange (2002)
– MusicMakers (Music School), Beenleigh (2001)
– Young Conservatorium Chorale, Queensland Conservatorium (2001)
Ofelia took private lessons from the age of 8 to 13 playing the electronic organ reaching Level 8 and competing at several organ eisteddfods. Ofelia took keyboard as a subject during her degree and has since had private piano lessons. Ofelia can confidentally accompany students with most song chord charts at first sight.
Ofelia’s skill as a stage performer was established throughout her five year residency as lead female vocalist in the stage show of Groucho’s Theatre Restaurant from 1999 to 2006. Ofelia worked as a front singer for the corporate covers band Platinum Edge from 2006-2011. Ofelia works as a Session Singer for television and radio commercials (you may hear her on Channel 7’s “Love You Queensland” theme as the soprano backing vocalist) and has worked as a TVC and film extra on various productions such as the mini-series “Starter Wife” and the feature film “Daybreakers”. Ofelia has worked as a Sound Designer/Electronic Music Composer since 2007.
The highlights in Ofelia’s career so far have included winning the “Tooheys 2000 Talent Quest”; winning the “Variety’s Australian Entertainer of the Millennium” Title; winning the Southport’s “Search for a Star” 2001; independently writing and producing her debut EP; staging its Launch Concert and performing her originals in the New York International Music Festival (2003) in venues such as Madison Square Garden and New York’s Hard Rock Café becoming a Festival Award Winner.
Ofelia’s musical ambition is to complete her album Crying IN FOUR STAGES; Ofelia’s teaching goal is to cater to each student to their individual capacities and interests using a solid background in education mixed with her own experiences as an entertainer; Ofelia’s singing aspirations are to be the best that she can be, comfortable and confident as her own person; Ofelia’s personal goal is to be able to lead by example.